Saturday, May 16, 2009

Happy Long Weekend...


Well, it's the first official long weekend of summer and of course in typical Canadian fashion the weather stinks but that didn't stop me from getting hubby to fire up the grill! I NEVER buy pre-made hamburgers, or what I refer to as "sawdust" burgers or "hockey pucks"; I'm sorry but they are the most flavourless things I've ever had in my life and when they come off the barbecue most times they resemble in both flavour and appearance a piece of cardboard. Okay, that's enough ranting for one post :) Needless to say, I make my own burgers and today I was feeling adventurous and I needed an excuse to use my fancy new mandolin so to accompany my burgers I made home made potato chips. The weather may not be cooperating but DH still enjoyed his homemade burger and potato chips!

Hamburgers with Garlic Butter
Serves 8-10 (depending on how big you want your burger)


Ingredients
3 pounds of lean ground beef
3 tablespoons HP Steak Sauce
6 egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoons black pepper
4 tablespoons garlic butter


Directions:

-In a large bowl gently mix the ground beef, steak sauce, egg yolks, salt and pepper.
-Form hamburgers into patties.
-Press a thin slice of garlic butter into the top of each hamburger, making sure the meat entirely encases the butter.
-Refrigerate formed burgers for 30 minutes before grilling.

8 beautiful burgers ready for the grill:




Potato Chips
Serves 4

Ingredients
3 large russet potatoes
3 litres of Canola Oil
Kosher salt to taste

Directions
-Scrub potatoes but do not peel.
-Thinly slice potato (a mandolin works great for this).
-Heat oil in large heavy bottomed stock pot to 375 degrees.
-Add sliced potatoes in batches to oil and fry a couple minutes or until nicely browned.
-Once chips are golden brown, remove from oil with slotted spoon and drain excess oil on paper towels.
-Season hot chips with kosher salt to taste.











No comments: